Monday, November 26, 2012

Different directions

Maddie has been working in several different directions the past couple of months.  Our friend Joe loaned us a side by side horse trailer, so I was able to work through Maddie's remaining trailering issues.  With the trailer on the property I could load and unload her a bunch of times in short order.  She took her sweet time accepting it, though, and the last time I took her out she still questioned the need to get on and go home.  But we can at least go somewhere without a lot of stress now.

I have been playing with bridleless riding off and on since June but recently I've really opened it up.  Last week I was able to ride in a friend's arena with just a neck strap, and today in our own pasture I rode her with just a dressage whip and no strap at all.  I have not tried cantering yet but we are just about ready.  This video from a couple days ago (when I was using a neck strap) shows about where we are at:


I am also working hard with her harness training so Maddie can plow up a giant garden next year.  She needs to be 100% controllable and comfortable pulling things around, and she also need confidence so she can do the hard pulling required.  Here is some video Katie took over the Thanksgiving holiday:


I have to say that in general Maddie is just incredible these days.  She is pleasant and fun to be with, and she is doing things that no one can believe.  I am thrilled every day when I get to go out back and see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment